Friday, February 20, 2015

FDA approves 23andMe DNA testing kit

             When you hear the word genetics, what's the first thing that pops into your mind?  I think of my grandmother.   For as long as I can remember, I have been told that I look like her and I can see this for myself. 


                Our facial features are not the only thing that shows our relation.  Our hands are the same size, we wear the same shoe size, we both have blond hair and blue eyes and the list goes on.  These are the parts of DNA that we can see, but what about the parts we can't?

                After previously banning DNA testing technologies, the Food and Drug Administration announced  this week that they have approved a genetic testing product created by 23andMe.  The relatively inexpensive product($99.00), provides the consumer  with their genetic information.  This includes: genetic traits, mutations, ancestral heritage and more.  Once you have taken the test, your results will be sent to you via email and scientific discoveries or news that relate to your information will also be provided. 



                A key aspect of this specific organization is to combine the internet technology with Scientific technology.   Genetic testing is not wrong, in fact I have seen firsthand how it can be helpful to those struggling with health issues.  But my question is this; if the internet already has an abundance of our information, should we also give it our genetic information. 

                 Up until recently, our genetic information has been something relatively hard to access and when it was accessed its accessibility to others was limited.  We need to be careful with whom we share this  information and how we use it.  If the internet were to leave control of the private sector and be owned by governments, should the government be able to look at our genetic information and decide who is genetically better than others?   Before we even had genetic testing the results of government prejudices became devastating(ex: Nazi Germany ). 

                The information we gain from this testing can be used to positively treat deficiencies and help peoples bodies function correctly.    But people can also use the information to  choose whether or not they will have children, or if they should genetically change their children.   


                No matter what the results of this advancement imply for our society, we need to remember who is in control.  The genetic deficiencies and mutations are a result of sin.  God did not intend for our incredible DNA system to make mistakes.  God knows our physical genetics but  he also sees our spiritual life.  He cares about  how we use the information He has given us.  Let's use it wisely for His glory, not for our own design.   

Resources: BBC News, 23andMe  

2 comments:

  1. Ivy, this was an interesting post! The picture of you and your grandmother when you were little drew me in. I have also been told the same thing time and time again.
    I agree, for the most part, with the side you took concerning this issue(with exception of last paragraph). It’s scary how much information the government already has about us, I don’t think genetic information should be easy to access because It’s private information.
    The whole genetic testing thing is a controversial issue among scientists today. Ultimately, God is in control. I don’t see how changing the way God intended you to be a good thing. For example, give a child with blue eyes brown eyes instead. There is something wrong with wanting to design your own child. However, if the baby has a deficiency or a disease, I believe it is perfectly fine and would be the right thing to take that deficiency away from the baby. I think the parent would be displaying true love for their child by not wanting to see the baby grow up sick.
    I agree in that deficiencies are a result of sin. However, I believe we should the science/technology that God gave us to use for our good. More than likely someone diagnosed with cancer will do everything to prevent the cancer from taking their life. I think that’s similar in regards to genetically changing a child.
    Interesting topic, thanks for sharing Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivy,
    I did not even though this existed. I find it interesting and quite exciting in ways that this new technology has been created. As a twin, my mother had the option when we were born to have genetic testing on us to see if my twin and I were really identical or fraternal. Of course I would want to know this genetically speaking, but back then it was too expensive to get done. It's fascinating that God has allowed these incredibly intelligent people to create a product for only $99, to put your genetic information in your INBOX!
    I do however agree with you that anything created can be used for the betterment of others or for their demise. Therefore, my only "two-cents" in this is to ask for God's continued wisdom. For ourselves as believers, for the Church but also for us as a society. What's better to allow the government to have access to and what is not.
    For your next blog, maybe include two opposing sides to the article/new technology being introduced. It would be interesting to see what's being said in the news about this 23andMe DNA testing kit. Thanks Ivy!

    ReplyDelete